"In Zootopia anyone can be anything."
In 2016, Disney released their 55th animated feature (and later Academy Award winner), Zootopia.
Set in a world populated entirely by anthropomorphic animals, the story follows optimistic rookie cop Judy Hopps, the first bunny on Zootopia's police force, as she sets out to prove herself by solving a missing mammal case in 48 hours.
To solve the case, Judy recruits (or rather, blackmails) cynical con artist fox Nick Wilde to help her.
Together they set out to solve the case, and in the process uncover a larger conspiracy that threatens the entire city.
A few years ago, I would have considered this project impossible, but with the recent release of the Sesame Street and Winnie the Pooh sets (plus Zootopia's fifth anniversary), I saw an opportunity.
Initially, I thought of building just one location from the movie, ZPD headquarters, but after seeing the size of the building, accompanied by the fact that we don't see most of it, I went back to the drawing board.
Then I thought, why build just one location, when I could do multiple? So I sought to combine two concepts that have done very well on LEGO Ideas: Disney and vignettes.
I came up with a list of the most iconic scenes from Zootopia, and narrowed it down from there based on their feasibility.
From there I designed them digitally and then built them physically.
The scenes I settled on include:
- The Rainforest District sky-tram, where Judy learns Nick's backstory.
- The DMV, where we meet Nick's friend Flash the sloth, who helps him and Judy (albeit slowly) by running a license plate number for them.
- Mr. Big's office, where we meet Tundratown's shrew crime boss who has a history with Nick, and after trying to "ice" him and Judy, agrees to help them.
- Judy's Meter Maid Cart, where she was assigned on her first day at the ZPD.
- Jumbeaux's Cafe, the ice cream shop where Judy first meets Nick while he's pulling a con.
- The ZPD bullpen, seen at the beginning and end of the movie where Judy (and later Nick) are given their assignments by Chief Bogo.
The characters in the project include:
Judy Hopps (regular uniform + meter maid), Nick Wilde (regular clothes + police uniform), Flash the sloth, Mr. Big, and Chief Bogo.
Zootopia has surprisingly not been given the LEGO treatment yet, even with two Disney minifigure series, so a set celebrating the movie would be a great addition to the growing list of Disney LEGO sets.
"I have the idea, I have the project, and I have a dream. The only thing I don't have are the votes to make it happen. Will you help me make it happen?"
(If you understood that, you're a true Zootopia fan)