Product Idea |

Articulated Star Wars AT-ST

202 comments

Last Updated . Click "Updates" above to see the latest.

Lego's own AT-ST renditions have never looked really good (but had other qualities), so I tried to design a better one. And here it is, after over 250 major edits, gathering 650 parts.

Endor and Hoth versions look pretty different, this one has design bits of both. I tried to be accurate in some areas, in others I went for what looked best. I mainly wanted to avoid the "staircase" effect that plagues other models.

I'm only aware of two great-looking Lego-made AT-ST's, one is very detailed but full of "illegal" techniques (just not the same game), the other is the posable one too featured on Lego Ideas - and it's pretty good (I voted for it - if mine doesn't make it, I hope that one will).

 

Pro's:

  • Seats 2 pilots side by side, which is not often the case in existing models.
    (an Ewok and Chewy, I don't know - the LDD hints that they would fit as well)
    Ok, it's a tight fit, pilots have to raise one arm a little.
     
  • Features the often neglected lower leg articulation, as well as the hip bar.
     
  • Ball-jointed head, rotatable guns, etc.


Con: no opening top hatch. The required wedge plates completely forbid this.
The whole top detaches easily, though, in order to access the minifigs.

 

I took some liberty on the legs. Let's face it, AT-ST legs are very thin, and that's just not achievable using Lego parts, let alone in a sturdy way. So as the legs were bound to be different, I changed the design a little, making the thighs look more like a chicken's.


Solid, but not kidproof.
It's a display model. It doesn't mean it easily falls into pieces, it's sturdy, BUT you certainly can't toss it around like a toy. That's the price to pay for a better look, and all articulations. Talking about joints, ball-joints are what they are, I don't really know (yet) how well they will last if you keep reposing it.
But it -does- stand on its legs well enough, despite the problematic hip bars.

 

I'm not the best at taking pictures, so I included renders as well (using Bluerender and LDD to POV-Ray). The shots are there to show that it has been built and tested. Its design went 90% in software and 10% in practical assembly.
No illegal technique (that I'm aware of) has been used, and I avoided retired parts. Some of today's parts are used in old or hard-to-find colors, though. Some other parts could still improve the model if made in new colors, and custom prints may help as well.