MIECS - Modular Interplanetary Exploration and Colonization System
The MIECS concept is inspired by LEGO, intermodal transport, and cube sats to envision Lunar/Mars travel. Based on 4-stud cylinders with single cylinder subdivisions, cylinders represent modules (Mods) that add life support, fuel, power, propulsion, science, colonization, etc. Mods range from "dumb" supplies to self-guided systems and allow different mission configurations, similar to LEGO elements.
MIECS is a:
- Receiving Orbital Station (ROS). ROS supports the MTA and efficiently stockpiles Mods. ROS has a core, misc. Mods, and crew capsules.
- Modular Transport Assembly (MTA). MTA uses ops and mission-specific Mods for extended ops and Mod transport. Fore to aft, Mods are:
- Habitats (one-time descent)
- Crew Area
- Gravity Crew Area
- Comms/dorsal sensors (radar, remote sensing, radio telescope)
- Misc. Mods
- Ventral dock w/ Reusable Lander
- Nuclear Power/Propulsion
Beyond reaching the Moon/Mars, the concept uses commercial tech and iterative design to scale for sustainable post-Mars missions.