BrickGallery on LEGO Ideas is a 10K Club member for the first time, with their The Legend of Zelda BotW: Hyrule Castle! This interview covers inspiration for the model, the love of The Legend of Zelda and the journey BrickGallery went on.
As always, we hope you enjoy this interview! Please congratulate BrickGallery in the comments below too.
- Who are you?
- Where are you from?
- How old are you?
- What do you do for a living?
I study economics.
- What hobbies do you have?
Currently studying 😉 and building some Lego on my spare time.
- Do you have a personal LEGO portfolio website that you can share with us?
IdeasBrickGallery on Instagram / Brick Tryx on YouTube.
- Have you created any LEGO MOCs (my own creations) that you’re particularly proud of? What is it, why are you proud it and do you have a photo of it?
I still like my Tom and Jerry 80th Anniversary Figures. I think these Figures would be a great counterpart to the Mickey and Minnie Mouse Figures 43179. I am especially proud of Tom’s curved ears.
- How and when did your interest for LEGO come about?
When I got my first Lego set. My interest is growing ever since.
- What is LEGO for you? What does it mean for you? How does it fit in your life? E.g. build, display, meetups, play the games.. or 'just' watch the cartoons.
I see Lego as a creative Output. Whenever I feel like there is a lack of creativity in my daily routine, I build some Lego. Besides that, building Lego sets can be great for relaxation purposes.
- What is your favourite LEGO theme (current or past)? Why? And has any theme inspired your building style or preference in any particular way?
My favourite Lego theme is the current Harry Potter lineup of sets. I am a big Harry Potter fan (movies and books) and I really like new sets that explore scenes we never gotten before in Lego form (e.g. 75967). I also looked at some of the Hogwarts Castle sets before I updated Hyrule Castle.
- What is your favourite official LEGO set? Why?
A favourite set is hard to choose. I like the LotR Tower of Orthanc (10237), Tumbler (76023), The Ghost (75053) and the Hogwarts Castle (71043). But my all-time favourite has to be the first Batcave set (7783), because of the time it took saving money to get one and the first videogame I ever played “Lego Batman”.
- What is your favourite LEGO element? Why?
The new Wizarding World wand pieces. I just like them so much better than the “wands” used before.
- Is there a LEGO designer (official LEGO designer or fan designer) who you are inspired by and look up to? Who and why?
I like the work of Jonas Kramm because of his unexpected part usage. It is hard to choose an official designer because several people / departments are involved in the set creation process and I think the work of all these people combined delivers awesome sets.
- Is there one or more particular LEGO related websites (not official LEGO websites) that you visit often and/or are inspired by?
Yes, mostly New Elementary, Bricklink and Brickset.
About Your Project
- Where did your interest in this particular model come from?
I love The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and already thought about doing a Zelda BotW project a while ago. Since Hyrule Castle is such a famous and important building in the Zelda franchise, I choose to recreate that.
- How long was the process of making the project did, and what did you have to research as well. What kind of prep, research and design phases did you go through to produce your creation?
I walked through the Castle several times and took screenshots. When I built Hyrule Castle on Lego Digital Designer and Stud.io, I had the Nintendo Switch nearby to examine certain parts of the structure individually. For the updated Version of Hyrule Castle I investigated the BotW Master Works book. I also want to give a shoutout to Noah R on YouTube who gave me the permission to use his minifigure designs.
- What special challenges did you face creating the model? What was the most difficult part to recreate?
Hyrule Castle is a huge structure and getting the overall shape right was kind of challenging.
- If you could talk to yourself before you started on this project, whatwould you tell him/her? What do you know now that you wish you knew then?
That the project would reach 10000 supporters to stay motivated throughout the long building process.
- How long did it take to complete the model? Did you finish it fairly quickly, or did it take a long time? And how did the build time compare to the time you spent promoting your Product Idea to reach 10,000 supporters?
I had more time than usually because of the current pandemic. That is why I was able to build throughout several days without major breaks. In my case the building process took longer than promoting my project.
- How did it feel when you reached the magic 10,000 votes and how long did it take?
I think it took about one month. Obviously, I was thrilled, this is my first 10000 supporters project in 4+ years on Lego Ideas / Cuusoo.
- Approximately how many LEGO bricks did you use to create your model?
I think the updated version uses close to 3000 bricks (mostly small cheese slopes).
What is your favourite building technique or part/section that you’ve incorporated into your Product Idea?
My favourite section is the throne room in the updated Hyrule Castle.
If you built your model digitally, what software did you use to build and render your model?
Lego Digital Designer and Stud.io.
- If you used custom stickers or prints for your design, how did you create them or where did you get them?
I made the stickers for the Hyrule Castle update with photoshop. Noah R on Youtube gave me the permission to use his minifigure designs.
About LEGO Ideas
- Do you have any useful advice about creating a successful LEGO Ideas project?
Choosing a theme you are passionate about. Your enthusiasm will most likely translate into your project’s design language.
- What (if any) methods did you use to advertise and attract support to your Product Idea?
Share the project on forums/websites your target audience visits preferably.
- What is your favourite LEGO Ideas Product Idea (besides your own of course)? Are there any Product Ideas you think have been overlooked?
Disney's Pinocchio LEGO Marionette with Jiminy Cricket by Buggyirk.
- What is it about the platform that attracts you? What tips would you give to anyone who is thinking about uploading an idea
Do not be discouraged when your project does not reach 10000 supporters immediately.
- Do you have plans to submit any other Product Ideas in the future? If yes, can you give us a hint what that might be?Something Castle related and maybe some more Tom and Jerry.
- 10k club interview
- 10k club
- the legend of zelda botw hyrule castle
- the legend of zelda