10K Club Interview: Meet Maxime Cheng of The Vintage Motorcycle of BMW R60/2
This week's 10K Club member and teenage building sensation, Maxime Cheng a.k.a. maximecheng03, has always had a passion for motorcycles which resulted in The Vintage Motorcycle of BMW R60/2; a model which he initially had built as a birthday present for a friend. It sounds as though Maxime is a great friend to have!
Help us congratulate Maxime, in the comments below, on joining the exclusive LEGO Ideas 10K Club and for sharing his story with us!
- Where are you from?
- How old are you?
14 year old.
^ Maxime proudly showing off his The Vintage Motorcycle of BMW R60/2 in his LEGO build space
- What do you study or do for a living?
Student, 8th grade.
- What hobbies do you have?
Playing with LEGO bricks, basketball and badminton!
- How and when did your interest for LEGO come about?
When I was 3 years old a friend of my dad’s gave me an old LEGO City set.
- What is your favourite official LEGO set? Why?
My favorite LEGO set is probably the Cool Cars set (#4939), because it was the one that first sparked my interest in LEGO. It was also my favorite set when I was four years old.
^ Maxime has refined his LEGO building skills, since one of his first MOCs from 2006.
What is your favourite LEGO element? Why?
My favorite LEGO element is the round 1x1 with an open stud (#85861), because of its versatility. It allows for other pieces like T bars to fit in tight spaces, making the biggest of impacts in the smallest of spaces.
- Is there a LEGO designer (official LEGO designer or fan designer) who you are inspired by and look up to? Who and why?
My inspiration has always been LEGO designer Jamie Berard. His creations as a whole are incredibly aesthetic, while his attention to minor details are flawless. In addition to that, he can effortlessly incorporate rare and unique pieces into his sets!
- Is there one or more particular LEGO related websites (not official LEGO websites) that you visit often and/or are inspired by?
Moko - https://www.flickr.com/photos/legodoumoko/.
About Your Project
- Where did your interest in this particular model come from?
I’ve always had an inherent liking of motorcycles, and my friend asked me to make something special for his birthday.
- What special challenges did you face creating the model? What was the most difficult part to recreate?
Some special challenges were the gas tank and engine.
^ Maxime uses blueprints to ensure the scale of his build is just right.
- How long did it take to complete the model?
It took around three months, and progress was relatively fast. But as a student, I could only work on it two to three hours a day.
- How did it feel when you reached the magic 10,000 votes and how long did it take?
When I first heard the news, I was happy beyond words, because I knew I had reached the highest honor as an amateur LEGO builder.
It took 510 days to get 10,000 supporters.
- Approximately how many LEGO bricks did you use to create your model?
About LEGO Ideas
- Do you have any useful advice about creating a successful LEGO Ideas project?
Start by deciding on good subject and materials. My advice is to always have perseverance and pay attention to every detail.
^ Maxime showing off and promoting his Vintage Motorcycle of BMW R60/2 at the 2017 Pockyland LUG - LEGO Fan Weekend.
- What is your favourite LEGO Ideas project (besides your own of course)?
Labyrinth Marble Maze
- lego ideas
- maxime cheng
- the vintage motorcycle of bmw r602