LEGO® Education is looking for a new design of the FIRST LEGO League World Festival trophy! As a trophy to be used to recognize all World Festival’s Award Categories and the Champions Award, it’s got to be epic and display-worthy, something we know your creative minds will not be troubled by!
One lucky winner will see their design adapted into the next FIRST LEGO League World Festival trophy, featuring an exclusive 2x2 printed tile with the fan designers name. They will also receive a copy of the final trophy, as well as win a 21309 LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V and a $400 USD shopping spree on LEGO.com.
Want to learn more about FIRST LEGO League and what it's all about? Read more in the Contest FAQ.
ENTRY DEADLINE: Submit your entry no later than the 31st May, 2018 at 6:00 a.m. EST. If you’re not sure what time zone you’re in, here’s a time zone converter.
How it Works
The contest will consist of 3 phases:
- Submission Phase - Build and submit your entry before Thursday the 31st May, 2018 at 6:00 a.m. EST.
- Judging Phase – Our judges review the entries and choose the winners by the 5th June, 2018.
- Winner Announcement - We will reveal the Grand Prize winner and two Runners Up here on LEGO Ideas on the 15th June, 2018!
How to Enter:
- Build your coolest, most display worthy LEGO trophy using LEGO pieces (no DUPLO elements) Submissions may be in either physical bricks or by using a digital building tool such as LEGO Digital Designer.
- Take up to five photos of your creation and submit them to the contest. Make sure to show off your model from all angles and any particular features or functions of your trophy.
- Add a title and short description.
- Upload your entry to the contest using the blue Submit Your Entry button on this page.
Acceptable Entry Content
- Entries should be able to fit on a base that does not exceed approximately 12x21 centimeters (14x26 LEGO System studs or 14x26 LEGO Technic beam length). Your entry should also have a maximum height of approximately 28-34cm (35-42 LEGO System studs or 35-42 LEGO Technic beam length) – the long edge of an A4 piece of paper is a good comparison. The top section may extend beyond the boundaries of the base, as traditional “cup” trophies would, as exemplified by the trophy on the right-hand side of the below image. Although we may approve entries that exceed the base and height dimensions, sticking as close as possible to the outlined dimensions will improve your chances of winning.
- The base of your trophy must include space for a 7x7cm wide metal plate, as visible on the trophy pictured above on the left. This metal plate would be glued to the model, therefore it’s not necessary to add studs or anchor points to attach this plate.
- Entries should keep scalability in mind as the measurements above are for a large trophy. A LEGO designer will also build two scaled-down small and medium versions of the winning design.
- Entries must only contain LEGO elements (no DUPLO elements).
- Please use only generic LEGO elements (elements that can be found across both in sets without a third-party license, such as LEGO City, as well as in sets that have a third-party license, such as Star Wars). This means don’t include any elements that are exclusively found in licensed LEGO sets (i.e. Such as using the Darth Vader minifigure or printed elements from a Marvel Super Heroes set). Entries containing such elements may be removed or stand a reduced chance of winning.
- Entries may contain LEGO Minifigures. However, Minifigures or Minifigure accessories may not be from licensed sets, such as Star Wars, Disney Princess, Speed Champions (i.e. Ferrari), etc.
- Entries may only contain elements in existing colours. Therefore, if you’re building in LEGO Digital Designer please be particularly aware of this. Submitting a 3D model featuring parts we haven’t released in the color you choose may lead to us removing your entry or reduce your chance of winning.
- No custom artwork. Entries may only contain official LEGO-made stickers or printed elements from non-licensed sets.
- If you win and your entry is selected to be adapted into an official trophy to be used in the FIRST LEGO League World Festival, a LEGO designer will consult with you regarding your model. Your model may be altered to fit LEGO design and quality standards, as well as element availability.
- Keep your model generic. Entries consisting of or referencing any existing third-party work or creation, or infringements of any third party intellectual property right will not be eligible for the contest (this includes references to Intellectual Property such as Star Wars, NASA, FIRST LEGO League themes and more).
- Projects may only contain genuine (not cut, glued, drawn on, or modified) LEGO bricks.
- You must be the original creator of all creative work you submit (the model, images, photographs, description text, etc.) and you must have the exclusive right to submit your model to this LEGO Ideas Contest. You may not submit a model made by, or on behalf of, someone else.
- Entries must be new creations and not previously posted online or submitted to any other contest.
Entry Quality Standards
- You may submit digital entries using LEGO Digital Designer, which is available for download via this link free of charge. Any entries made in LEGO Digital Designer should not show the baseplate from build mode. You may also create digital entries using third-party LEGO CAD software.
- You may use photo editing software and add visual effects to photos of your entry. If you use visual effects of any kind, please do ensure that your model is still clearly visible.
- Entries containing photos that are too dark or blurry will be removed from the contest. To ensure easy judging of your entry, we recommend taking several pictures on a neutral background free from background clutter, with your model well framed and shown from different angles.
- Please do not include people in pictures you submit. Photos containing people or limbs will be removed.
- Entries containing defamatory or degrading elements will not be eligible for the contest.
- Any cheating or harassment of other participants will result in disqualification from the contest.
- Your contest entries and comments on contest entries must follow the complete LEGO Ideas House Rules.
A panel of judges consisting of members of the LEGO Education and FIRST team will choose a Grand Prize winner and two Runner Up winners based on:
- Overall coolness and originality: 25%
- Most inspired details: 25%
- Relevance to contest theme: 25%
- Best use of LEGO elements: 25%
The Fine Print
- You must be at least 13 years of age to participate and enter.
- You may submit multiple entries to the contest, but only one entry per person will be considered when winners are selected. This means you cannot win as a semi-finalist and as the grand prize winner with two different entries.
- Winners will be contacted on the email address associated with their LEGO Ideas account after the 5th June, 2018. Winners will be announced on LEGO Ideas when all winners have returned the signed Winner’s Certification Documents. A winner who does not return their Winner’s Certification Document within one week (5 days) of receiving it will be disqualified, and a new winner will be selected.
- Contest is not open to residents of Iran, North Korea, Myanmar/Burma, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Syria, any other U.S. sanctioned country and where prohibited or restricted by law.
- By entering the contest, you agree to follow the rules on this Contest Brief page and you agree to the LEGO Ideas Terms of Service.
One grand prize winner will receive:
- The opportunity for their winning trophy design to be turned into an actual LEGO model to be given to winners at future editions of the FIRST LEGO League World Festival. An exclusive printed 2x2 tile will also be included featuring the winning designers name.
- One copy of the final trophy model (large version)
- One 21309 LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V set
- A $400 USD shopping spree on LEGO.com
Two runner up winners will receive:
- One copy of the Grand Prize Winning trophy in a small version
- One 21309 LEGO Ideas NASA Apollo Saturn V set
- A $150 USD shopping spree on LEGO.com
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, see the Contest Beta FAQ.