The winners have been chosen! Thank you for participating in this creative contest. We've been blown away by all the amazing entries!
Build the construction machines of the future! We’ve teamed up with LEGO® TECHNIC and Volvo Construction Equipment to invite you to build the construction machines of the future - either autonomous or not! What will these construction machines look like, what tasks will they perform? Show us your design of what’s to come!
One Grand Prize winner will win a trip to the Volvo Customer Center in Eskilstuna, Sweden, to an unforgettable VIP test-drive of construction machines, visit to the Volvo Munktell Museum, Volvo Merchandise and LEGO Technics sets. There will also be two Runner Up winners that will get Volvo merchandise, and a collection of LEGO Technic sets.
The top 10 physical entries, to be selected by the judges, will also be invited to be displayed at the Volvo Munktell Museum in Sweden and photographed to be part of a digital campaign.
ENTRY DEADLINE: Submit your entry no later than October 18th, 2018 at 6:00 a.m. EST. If you’re not sure what time zone you’re in, here’s a time zone converter.
How it Works
The contest will consist of 3 phases:
- Submission Phase - Build and submit your entry before October 18th, 2018 at 6:00 a.m. EST. We recommend submitting your entry 2-3 days before the deadline in the event we have to return it to you for changes.
- Judging Phase – Our judges review the entries and choose the winners by November 9th, 2018.
- Winners Announcement - We share the Grand Prize winner and two Runner Up winners here on LEGO Ideas on November 21st 2018!
How to Enter:
- Build your futuristic construction machine using LEGO elements or a digital building tool like LEGO Digital Designer. You’re welcome to use image editing tools, such as Photoshop, to enhance your photos/presentation.
- Take up to five photos of your creation and submit them to the contest. Make sure to show off all angles and any features or functions of your creation.
- Add a title and short description.
- Upload your entry to the contest using the blue Submit Your Entry button on this page.
Acceptable Entry Content
- Your entry should consist of a minimum of approximately 50% LEGO Technic parts. The remaining may be LEGO System bricks or LEGO Constraction elements.
- You are encouraged to use the iconic black and yellow Volvo Construction Equipment colors, although this is not a requirement.
- If you wish to use stickers or printed elements, only LEGO-made stickers or printed elements are allowed in your entry and only Volvo stickers or non-licensed stickers/prints may be used.
- Entries may not include licensed or copyrighted elements and minifigures unless it's from a past LEGO Volvo set. This means all entries containing elements specific to third party Intellectual Properties (IPs) LEGO models, including licensed characters from Marvel and DC Super Heroes, Star Wars, Harry Potter, Ferrari, etc. will not be eligible for the contest (updated 21/09/2019)
- Entries consisting of or containing copies of any existing third-party work or creation, or infringements of any third party intellectual property right will not be eligible for the contest (this includes references to Intellectual property such as other vehicle brands or vehicle accessory brands which might be related to construction machines).
- Projects may only contain genuine (not cut, glued, drawn on, or modified) LEGO® bricks.
- You must be the original creator of all creative work you submit (the model, images, photographs, description text, etc.) and you must have the exclusive right to submit your model to this LEGO Ideas Contest. You may not submit a model made by, or on behalf of, someone else.
- Entries must be new creations and not previously posted online or submitted to any other contest.
Entry Quality Standards
- You may submit digital entries using LEGO Digital Designer, which is available for download via this link free of charge. Any entries made in LEGO Digital Designer should not show the baseplate from build mode. You may also create digital entries using third-party LEGO CAD software.
- You may use photo editing software, such as Photoshop, to enhance your entry’s presentation.
- Entries containing photos that are too dark or blurry will be removed from the contest. To ensure easy judging of your entry, we recommend taking pictures on a neutral background free from background clutter, with your model well framed.
- Please do not include people or limbs in pictures you submit. Photos containing people will be removed.
- Entries containing defamatory or degrading elements will not be eligible for the contest.
- Any cheating or harassment of other participants will result in disqualification from the contest.
- Your contest entries and comments on contest entries must follow the complete LEGO Ideas House Rules.
A panel of judges including members of the LEGO Technic team and the Volvo Construction Equipment team will choose a Grand Prize winner and two Runner Up winners based on:
- Overall coolness and originality: 25%
- Most inspired details: 25%
- Relevance to contest theme: 25%
- Best use of LEGO elements: 25%
In addition, the top 10 physical entries will be invited to be displayed at the VOLVO museum in Sweden.
The Fine Print
- You must be at least 13 years of age to participate and enter.
- You may submit multiple entries to the contest, but only one entry per person will be considered when winners are selected. This means you cannot win as a semi-finalist and as the grand prize winner with two different entries.
- Winners will be contacted on the email address associated with their LEGO ID account after November 9th, 2018. Winners will be announced on LEGO Ideas when all winners have returned the signed Winner’s Certification Documents. A winner who does not return their Winner’s Certification Document within one week (5 days) of receiving it will be disqualified, and a new winner will be selected.
- This contest is not open to residents of Iran, North Korea, Myanmar/Burma, Zimbabwe, Sudan, Syria, any other U.S. sanctioned country and where prohibited or restricted by law. This contest is not open to residents in the state of Quebec.
- By entering the contest, you agree to follow the rules on this Contest Brief page and you agree to the LEGO Ideas Terms of Service.
- As the Grand Prize winner we would also like to invite you to participate in a video interview, which would be used as part of a digital campaign.
One Grand Prize winner will receive:
- A trip to the Volvo Customer center in Eskilstuna, Sweden, to test-drive construction machines and visit the Volvo Munktell Museum
- Volvo merchandise
- The following LEGO Technic sets: 42079 Heavy Duty Forklift, 42080 Forest Machine, 42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX and 42082 Rough Terrain Crane.
Two Runner Up winners will receive:
- Volvo merchandise
- The following LEGO Technic sets: 42079 Heavy Duty Forklift, 42080 Forest Machine, 42081 Volvo Concept Wheel Loader ZEUX, 42082 Rough Terrain Crane.
In addition, the top 10 physical entries will be invited to be displayed at the Volvo Munktell Museum in Sweden and photographed to be part of a digital campaign. The display is currently planned for 1 month after the contest winners are announced and would last for approximately 2 months in total, so remember not to disassemble your entries in case yours is selected. Shipment of the models to and from the Volvo Munktell Museum will be covered by the Volvo Construction Equipment team.
Frequently Asked Questions
For more information, see the Contests Beta FAQ.