Mason Betterly (aka GoodOlPrice) tells all in his 10K Club Interview from top tips to inspiration for his model, The Haunted Mansion: 50th Anniversary!
And don't forget to congratulate Mason in the comments down below!
- Where are you from?
I am from Apex, North Carolina, USA.
- How old are you?
I am 25 years old.
- What do you study or do for a living?
I am an aspiring writer and mail carrier for the United States Postal Service.
- What hobbies do you have?
Other than Lego, I enjoy writing and watching movies.
- How and when did your interest for LEGO come about?
Lego has always been in my life since I was roughly 5 years old. I received set 6490 Amazon Crossing on Christmas morning and was instantly enraptured.
- What is your favourite official LEGO set? Why?`
I think my favourite set that I have is perhaps the Modular City Detectives Office. It’s a beautiful building and just looks so great in my little town I’m constructing.
- What is your favourite LEGO element? Why?
Quite simply, the minifigure. There are so many possibilities and so many characters you and your imagination can create just by swapping elements and getting creative. They become the very people that give your creations life.
- Is there one or more particular LEGO related websites (not official LEGO websites) that you visit often and/or are inspired by?
I often watch a lot of Youtubers such as Jangbricks and Ashnflash as well as do a TON of scrolling around in Instagram checking out different exciting builds and new techniques.
About Your Project
- Where did your interest in this particular model come from?
My two great passions in life are Lego and the Haunted Mansion. For longer than I can recall, it has been my dream to marry the two and to be a part of the lush legacy of the Mansion in some form. My thesis film in college was even an unofficial backstory for the 3 Hitchhiking Ghosts at the end of the ride.
- What special challenges did you face creating the model? What was the most difficult part to recreate?
The most difficult part of the process for me was to be able to find a way to lay out the scenes from the attraction in a way that I could fit the most detail and accuracy into it.
- How long did it take to complete the model? Did you finish it fairly quickly, or did it take a long time?
I worked off and on with this specific version of the set for approximately 3 years, however drafts and versions of this set have been built and scrapped for over 9 years. In the mean time, I graduated from high school and college, met an amazing girl, got married, moved my entire life to a whole new state and bought a house, so it’s kind of amazing on a personal level to see how the set has in a way grown up with me.
- How did it feel when you reached the magic 10,000 votes – again- and how long did it take?
It's an amazing feeling knowing that you have 10,000 people out there in the world who think, “Yes, this is an idea that I can get behind.” It was humbling and yet I was bursting with pride all at once.
- Approximately how many LEGO bricks did you use to create your model?
Approximately 2,960 bricks went into the making of this set.
About LEGO Ideas
- Do you have any useful advice about creating a successful LEGO Ideas project?
Know your audience and make sure you have a way for them to see it. BE PERSISTENT!
- What is your favourite LEGO Ideas project (besides your own of course)?
Hands down my favorite Ideas set is the Back to the Future Delorean. I adore those films and the car is just so iconic.
- What is it about the platform that attracts you? What tips would you give to anyone who is thinking about uploading an idea?
The amazing thing about Ideas is that anyone can post an idea and every idea has that same chance in getting made.
- 10k club
- 10k club interview
- the haunted mansion 50th anniversary
- haunted mansion
- mason betterly